Who May Attend?
Campers who will have completed the 3rd grade up to and including those who have completed the 11th grade as of the end of the 2016-2017 school year.
Who Are The Counselors?
Adults and college students from Highland Church of Christ serve as counselors. Many of them have been serving at camp for years because they love God and love kids. Our counselors are the best! Graduated seniors serve as Teen Counselors. Each counselor is required to complete an application, attend training, and submit to a background check.
Where is Camp Highland Held?
Camp is held at The Grove at Red Oak Lake located at 849 Rocky Point Road, Cordova, TN 38018. From Houston Levee, go west on Walnut Grove about one mile and turn right on Rocky Point. The Grove will be on your left.
What Do Campers Bring?
- Bible and pen
- Casual clothes for six days (see dress code below)
- Tennis shoes
- Swimsuit (see Swimsuit Policy below)
- Washcloths or loofa
- Reusable water bottle labeled with camper’s name
- Flashlight and batteries
- Twin bedding or sleeping bag
- Insect repellant
- Dirty clothes bag
- Random props/costumes for lip sync
- Do NOT Bring: portable DVD players, TV, chewing tobacco, cigarettes, alcohol, non-prescription drugs, knives, weapons, fireworks, silly string, etc.
- Violation of this policy or any inappropriate behavior disruptive to the program may result in the camper being sent home without a refund.
Check-In will take place Sunday, June 18th between 5:00–6:00pm. Check-in will not begin a minute before 5:00pm, so do not arrive early. If your child is a 4th–6th grader, you will check-in straight down from the camp entrance at Grove Auditorium. If your child is a 7th–12th grader, you will check-in at the far back left corner of the camp at Pioneer Lodge. Counselors will direct you to the correct places. There will be high traffic and very little parking. Please unload your car as quickly as possible. Campers will receive their cabin number and team.
If your child will be taking daily medications during the week of Camp Highland, please organize all medications into a Daily Medicine Box labeled with your child's name. If your child takes multiple doses, please bring a medicine box that has tabs for multiple doses. These boxes will be given to our camp nurse, Mary Elizabeth Strange, and she will distribute them at the correct time.
Closed Camp Policy
Camp Highland has a closed camp policy. This means that once Camp Highland begins, no one leaves, joins, or visits the campground. No parents are allowed to visit at Camp Highland any time during the week (except for baptisms). This is set in place for your child's security. If your child needs t leave Camp Highland for an emergency reason, it is imperative that you notify your child's cabin counselor and/or Camp Directors.
Baptisms will take place Thursday at 9:00pm at the camp pool. Families may attend. Please do not park on the grass. In case of rain, the baptisms will take place at Highland Church of Christ (400 N. Houston Levee Rd.) on Friday after Family Night.
Cell Phone/Technology Policy
Cell phones, iPods, and other portable electronic devices are not prohibited at Camp Highland; however, the use of these items will be limited by time and place to better protect our campers. We enforce a strict "No Cyber Bullying" rule, meaning no Tweet, Instragram, Snapchat, Facebook, YikYak, etc. should have photos or derogatory comments of/about fellow campers/counselors or anyone else in all creation without their permission. We also enforce a strict "No Pornography" rule. Should a camper break either of these rules, his/her device will be taken up, parents will be called, and the directors will decide whether to send him/her home.
What is the Camp Highland Dress Code?
Acceptable dress: Casual and modest shorts and t-shirts
Unacceptable dress: Short shorts (including Soffee shorts for girls), tight fitting tops, barebacked/bare midriff tops, crop tops, spaghetti straps, tube tops, transparent clothing, halter tops, any clothing that advertises substances illegal by law for minors, suggestive or profane, or that suggest gang activity or derogatory remarks of an ethnic nature.
Guys: Shorts should be loose, at least mid-thigh length. You must wear a shirt at all times, except swimming. No bare midriffs. No side cutouts.
Girls: Shorts should be loose, at least mid-thigh length. No spaghetti straps. No crop tops. Modest swimsuits only (one-piece or tankinis that look like one-pieces when worn). You must wear coverups to and from the pool. No swimsuits at canteen or team sports.
Girls are allowed to wear one-piece suits or two-piece tankini at Camp Highland.
Guidelines to use when shopping for a swimsuit:
- Look for a top that extends past the navel.
- A halter can be ok, as long as the front is not cut too low. A strapless top would not be allowed.
- Look for tops that are not low cut in the front, and that the entire back is not showing.
- Look for bottoms that are modest and not tied by strings, metal rings, etc.
- Look for sets that will meet in the middle, i.e. not a tankini that still shows 2 inches of belly.
Make modesty your goal. The point is not to allow girls to show more skin. If anything it is to give them another option to be perhaps even more modest. When in doubt, wear a dark t-shirt and shorts.
On Wednesday night, we will conduct a Lipsync Performance contest between the teams. This year's theme is "High School Musical." The campers will love it! Bring crazy, random props and costumes if you have them. Parents are not invited to the Lipsync Contest (see Closed Camp Policy above). You can purchase a DVD with these performances.
End of Camp
On Friday, June 23, we will have Family Night to wrap up Camp Highland 2017. Between 5:15–6:00pm, parents need to pick up your child's belongings from his/her cabin. Family Night will begin at 6:00pm sharp in the Grove Auditorium. We'll worship, share about the week, and watch a highlight video. Camp Highland will be over by 7:00pm.
What are my Payment Options?
As you will see in the online application you have several options:
- The cost is $380 per camper, including a DVD. You can choose to not purchase a DVD during the payment section which will reduce the cost by $30.
- Online Payment (preferred option) - the application will lead you right to this option.
- Check – Make checks payable to “Highland Youth Group,” write "Camp Highland" in the memo line, and place in the HYG mailbox or mail to Highland Church of Christ (400 N Houston Levee Road, Cordova, TN 38018).
- Cash – Place in an envelope labeled with Camper’s name and “Camp Highland 2017” and give it to Buster, Michelle, Donnie, or Emily.
- ALL PAYMENTS MUST BE RECEIVED BY MAY 7, 2017.
How Do I Register?
All campers must pre-register in order for us to provide a safe, organized, quality experience. There is a link at the bottom of this page when registration is open. The application AND full payment must be received by May 7. Registration closes May 7, 2017.
No applications will be accepted after May 7; all payments must be received by May 7, 2017.
What is the Cancellation Policy?
All cancellations must be received IN WRITING. Email your cancellation notice to Buster.Clemens@highlandcc.org by May 7 to receive a full refund. Cancellations received between May 7 and May 21 will receive a $100 refund. No refunds can be given after May 21, 2017. Unfortunately, we are unable to issue refunds for campers who have to cancel at the last minute, leave camp early, or are dismissed from camp.