Serving God by Serving People since 1989
Every June over 300 teens and adults gather in Memphis to repair, scrape, and paint homes for people who can’t afford to do it themselves. Students meet on Monday night for a meal and worship. They work Tuesday through Friday with a meal and worship each night. Friday night, the homeowners join us for a banquet for an emotional night of worship and celebration. Participants have painted 839 homes since 1989. For more information, check out the Memphis Workcamp Website.
- DATES: June 3-7, 2019
- COST: $90
- FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
- Where do participants work and what do they do? They work on a home that needs painting. This may include scraping, caulking, minor repairs, cleanup, or yard work. Some workers will be on “roving crews” that do smaller projects to spruce up an entire street. Most homes are owned by elderly people living on limited incomes.
- Will you keep my child safe? All sites are inspected by adults and the Memphis utility company, MLG&W. First aid is available at each site. Safety rules are strictly enforced. Water is available at each site. Our policy is always “safety first”.
- What should my child wear? Dress modestly. For the daytime, long shorts and t-shirts are fine. It will be hot, and one will get paint on his or her clothes. Girls: Please do not bring any revealing tank tops or short/SOFFE-type shorts. Guys: Shirts are required. Workers will have a chance to go home and change in the evenings, so bring casual clothes for the night sessions.
- What should my child bring to Workcamp? Bring a Bible, a 4” paint brush, a ladder, and a positive attitude. Other suggested items: sunglasses, hat, water bottle, sunscreen, and work gloves. Each worker will need to bring a sack lunch and drink with them each morning. We really need ladders!
- REGISTRATION: All teens, college students, and adults must print out and complete an application. Applications and fees must be turned into the HYG mailbox by May 5. No late applications will be accepted.
Application Deadline is Sunday, May 5. Sorry, no late applications accepted.
Place FORM AND CHECK in the mailbox outside the Youth Mission.
Or mail to: 400 N. Houston Levee Rd. Cordova, TN 38018
Highland members can download and print the application below.